Thursday 5 March 2009

The Reader


Tales of first love have always been fodder for movies, from 21 Candles, to The Little Mermaid and Milo & Otis (a film I vomited in when I saw it as a child), to The Notebook. But Stephen Daldry's The Reader is a film about first love that throws a few new elements into the mix, namely Nazis and pedophilia (with not a goblet of Jesus juice or a ranch with a theme park in site). David Cross nearly steals the show, with a stern and button-downed Winslet very deserving of the Oscar. Who ever did her old lady make-up (read as grey face-paint applied by a vengeful monkey) should be made to watch the Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

But The Reader does however prove two things, one: both Milo & Otis and The Notebook would've been far more interesting if they had featured stern Nazi ladies, and two: reading is a great aphrodisiac.

2 comments:

  1. and that you should always admit to being a iliterite

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cldn't agree more Joshie boy: "Reading is (indeed) a great aphrodisiac" ... my own personal happiness is at it's hghest "With books around my knees, my skirt around my waist, and someone with talent underneath" ..

    ... but then again I'm a ranga (a true one ... ie my cuffs match my collars)
    ... So now I have you in repulsive convulsions, I'll leave it at that (call it a Ranga's Revenge! ha ha ha harrrr) ...

    ReplyDelete